Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Sunday 29 May 2011

Rosewater and Maple syrup milk jelly,

I couldn't resist buying some Peonies yesterday. I miss being a florist so much, when the peonies come out is always one of my favourite times of year. They are so pretty. They inspired me to make something I cut out of a magazine about 5 years ago and never got around to trying. Rosewater and maple syrup milk jelly. I also checked that peony petals are edible (they are) and crystallized some to pop on top to make this very pretty pudding. I was worried it would be to floral a taste for the boys to enjoy it so made some regular strawberry jelly just in case they didn't like it but they gobbled it up happily!
Recipe is as follows;

  • 1 pint full cream milk
  • 5 leaves gelatine (cut up and soaked in cold water until wobbly)
  • 3tbsp maple syrup
  •  a good glug of rosewater (about 5tsp)
To make the jelly, warm the milk slowly until nearly boiling then whisk in the soft gelatine and then the syrup and rosewater (I also added a couple of drops of red food colouring to make it pretty)
Strain into a mould and refrigerate.
To make the crystallized petals, wash them and then dip into lightly whisked egg white and dust with caster sugar, shake off any excess and dry for several hours.
I served it with some extra syrup I made from some warmed maple syrup and rosewater, so that you got a bigger hit of flavour if you wanted it, as it is quite mild.
I think it would be even nicer with an extra dash of cream or maybe a top layer of homemade raspberry/rhubarb or strawberry jelly. Next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...