Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Saturday 7 May 2011

Lemon Meringue Roll with Strawberries

We had some friends over and I decided to do a nice pud. I had a random jar of lemon curd which I really don't like on toast and so thought of making a Lemon Meringue pudding but didn't fancy the pastry element. I think I had seen something like this on the Cook website when I was looking at what we might buy to serve at Charlie's christening.
Lemon Meringue Roll with Strawberries
It turned out well, it had a lovely balance of fresh tartness from the lemon and sweetness from the meringue. And the strawberries complemented it well, though obviously these could be left out. I think next time I would experiment with some lemon zest through the cream, or maybe puree the strawberries into the cream?

Anyway, this is the recipe I used;
5 egg whites
150g caster sugar
1tsp cornflour
284ml double cream (elmlea light) whipped
1 jar lemon curd
1 punnet strawberries, thinly sliced.
Fan oven at 140*c

In the kitchen aid (or by hand) whip the egg whips until stiff then add the sugar and cornflour a bit at a time
Line a swiss roll pan. Spread the egg mixture onto the baking parchment and bake in the oven for 45mins at 140*c.
Cool completely, uncovered. Remove baking parchment and place on another sheet of parchment that has been dusted with icing sugar to prevent it sticking. Then spread the meringue with the whipped cream, followed by the lemon curd and then the strawberries. Then using the paper roll from the short side into a roulade shape. 
It needs to be served quite quickly as the juice from the strawberries runs out after a while and makes the whole thing a bit more soggy - though still yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...