Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Thursday 5 May 2011

My first foray into quilt making

I realise this has nothing to do with Gobbling but it does have to do with Cobbling! I decided to have a shot at making a quilt for our bed as, over the cold winter, I never managed to find a bedspread that I liked or (if I did like it) could afford! Quilting is a craft I have always wanted to try. I have been heavily inspired by a family friend who has made me these gorgeous quilts as Christening presents for the boys and decided I wanted to have a go myself.


I have started quite simply. As with cookery, I am completely incapable of following a recipe or a pattern without freestyling it, so I knew I would have to find designs and patterns that wouldn’t matter if they weren’t dead on. So I dragged out my ancient sewing machine (that my nan passed on to me when her arthritis got too bad to use it) and had a go.
I got a tip that I could use a cheap sheet (one with a thread count below 600) instead of large expanses of proper quilting fabric. I went for this design so that I could have a quick result and be encouraged to continue.
And within 2 days , side one is complete.

Now I have got the bug and want to do a completely different design on the reverse. I want something a bit more Spring like as these fabrics are quite Autumnal in feel. And then I will still have to wad and quilt it – which I think is going to be the really tricky bit! So the completed item is still some way off but I will show you when it gets there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...