Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Friday 19 August 2011

Wholemeal Cherry & Almond Bakewell Muffins


Ingredients (this is approximate as I made up a big batch and divided it into 3 to make three different types of muffin. I can recommend making the bigger batch as the mix keeps in the fridge as a batter for a good 2 weeks - I will put the big batch totals in brackets)
  • 1 egg (3 eggs)
  • 33g caster sugar (100g caster sugar)
  • 42g dark brown sugar (125g d. brown sugar)
  • 166ml milk (500ml)
  • 40ml veg/sunflower oil (125ml)
  • 75g wholemeal flour (225g wholemeal flour)
  • 10g rye flour (30g - this was an experiment as I had some to hand!)
  • 75g plain flour (225g)
  • 1 tsp bicarb (2 rounded tsp)
  • pinch salt (1/2 tsp)
  • 1 drained tin of black cherries (plus a small amount of juice from tin)
  • handful ground almonds
  • 1 tsp almond essence
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • few drops of water.


Method
  • In a food mixer, whisk the sugar and eggs. The add the milk, oil and mix. 
  • Change to a dough arm and add flours (plain, wholemeal and rye - I didn't bother sifting), salt and bicarb. Stir until blended. The batter should be quite wet.
  • (If making the big batch, this is the point I divided it into 3)
  • I then stirred in the cherries, ground almonds, almond extract and a small amount of the juice from the tin to loosen the batter again.
  • I put this into 6 muffin cases in a muffin tray. I filled them to the top with mix.
  • I cooked this in a fan oven preheated to 190*c, for 15mins (or until set and spongy)
  • Cool on a wire rack.
  • Make up quite a stiff glace icing with the sugar and water and dollop onto the tops to give it a bakewell tart finish. If I had had some glace cherries I may well have popped one on the top to finish it off! I do love a glace cherry but I realise this is quite controversial!

If you are interested what I did with the other 2 batches,  I have made straight blueberry muffins a couple of days ago, and I intend to make coconut and lime muffins at the weekend with the last batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...