Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Monday 23 May 2011

Over-ripe Banana Cake with Butterscotch filling

I had loads of over-ripe bananas left in the fruit basket and a random half carton of sour cream to use up so I found this recipe for Sour cream Banana Cake.
I have been dreaming of this Banana Cake we had in a coffee shop when I was young. I have never been able to recreate it or find the right recipe. But something about this recipe made me think I might have get closer today. The Banana Cake of my 'Coffee Call' memories was dense and very moist with the black flecks from the banana going through it, no other adulterations of chocolate or sultanas. Then in the middle was a yellow/orange colour creamy, custardy thing and on top was a plain white glace icing.
I found a recipe for Butterscotch custard. I added a bit of banana to the recipe as I thought it had a banana taste. This is the finished result....
I was transported right back to 1990! It's still not perfect, their's was deeper and lighter in colour but the custardy thing is very close I think. I wish I could invite my old school pals round for tea tonight and see what they think!











This is the recipe I used
Sour cream Banana Cake

  • 2 eggs
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 80ml sunflower oil
  • 125g sour cream
  • 250g over-ripe bananas (this was 3 and a half of my bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 200g plain flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb. of soda 

Easy peasy method - Bung it all in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl and whisk it all up until a smooth batter.
Pour batter into a lined 20cm cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 170*c for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a rack.


Butterscotch Banana Custard cake filling

  • 150g lightly packed brown sugar
  • 125g butter, chopped ( I used stork as a lower fat option and it worked fine)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 3 tablespoons custard powder
  • 250ml milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 small mashed banana

Heat the sugar, butter and water on a low heat, with continuous stirring until it smells caramely. Mix the custard powder with the milk, vanilla and banana and pour into the pan. Heat and stir until thickens. Cool quickly by placing pan in a sink full of water. Cool until ready to put into the middle of the cake.
Pour plain water glace icing (Icing sugar and water) over the top of the cake and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...