Cobble it together and gobble it up!

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Grown up Strawberry Ice Cream

This morning I went to use the strawberries that were delivered last night and half of them had already gone squashy. I appreciate strawberries have a short shelf life but I didn’t imagine I would have to use them within 12 hours of the delivery coming!
So I needed to find a way to use them quickly and as I was half way through making the honeycomb ice cream below, I decided to have a bash at turning it into a Strawberry ice cream and so I put aside about a third of the cream/condensed milk mixture.
I warmed the less great strawberries (about 500g) in a pan with some vanilla extract (~3tsp), about a tablespoon of caster sugar and a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar. Then I blended them with the hand held blender. Cooled the puree quickly by putting the pan in a sink full of cold water and then added them to the cream mixture (see honeycomb ice cream recipe below). I had visualised it being a strawberry ripple effect but there was actually 2/3 strawberry puree to 1/3 cream so I just mixed it all together. I then got a bit worried that it would set too hard so I added a couple of shots of framboise liquer as the alcohol should stop it completely freezing.
I did have to fork the mixture a couple of times while it was freezing and there are still some ice crystals in it but the flavour is really good, I especially like the framboise in it. If you have an ice cream churn I would use it if repeating this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...